It is quite difficult to know about stomach cancer at an early stage because just like other cancers, this also does not depict any signs and symptoms. Though there are indications such as feeling of vomiting, acidity, indigestion, loss of appetite and weight loss. But these stomach cancer symptoms can also be due to some other illnesses or an ulcer.
Below discussed are some of the major stomach cancer symptoms that are usually found in the later stages:
- Blood in the stool: This symptom is the major warning of stomach-cancer. Although, the infected person may not identify the blood in stool. In such cases, the problem can be diagnosed by a fecal occult blood test. This test would confirm about the stomach cancer.
- Abdominal pain: There is pain and discomfort in the abdominal region. This is also usually a universal signs which the patiently describe in front of the doctor. This pain can be mild or severe and usually occurs in the upper part of the abdominal region.
- Persistent Vomiting/ Nausea: A stomach cancer patient will constantly vomit and feel nausea. If there is blood in the vomit then the doctor must be consulted immediately.
- Loss of Appetite: This is a very serious issue where you do not get hungry or feel like eating. If this problem lasts for more days or more than a week then it can be serious. So, a doctor must be visited immediately.
- Weight Loss: Although many people are happy if they loose weight without making any effort, but if the weight is reduced more than 5% of the normal weight in just six months without making any attempts for weight loss it could be a stomach cancer symptom.
- Abdominal Bloating: This symptom is also a serious problem and a warning indication of stomach cancer. If any person feels this symptom just after a meal he/she is advised for a quick medical attention.
Although, the exact cause behind stomach cancer is unknown but this disease is mostly caused due to the bacterium named Helicopter pylori. Smoking and alcohol are also responsible for causing this cancer. Sometimes, environmental factors also result in stomach cancer. This disease can also be hereditary or due to the family history. People with blood of type A have higher chances of suffering from stomach cancer.
Some of the dietary factors especially certain food preservation methods like smoking, salting or pickling also increase the chances of stomach cancer.
The stomach cancer can be diagnosed through medical examination which may include gastroscopy or endoscopy in which a thin and small flexible tube is put inside the throat so that the doctor can view the stomach, bowel and esophagus. PET scan, CT scan and an endoscopic ultrasound is also conducted to see if the cancer has spread to other areas.
Cancer may be treated through radiation therapy, chemotherapy or surgery. Surgery is preferred for stomach cancer. So, do not worry and consult a doctor immediately in case you feel any of the above symptoms.