Scabies is a parasitic infection related to skin and is commonly caused by one of the species of mites known as Sarcoptes scabiei.These mites bury themselves in very topmost layer of the human skin and there they lay eggs and they can’t be seen with the help of human eye.
An infestation of these mites into the skin produces itching on the skin and the person infested can develop blisters as well as postules on palms of the hands and these blisters are common in babies or young children. Infections of scabies occur globally and are common these days. Around 300 million cases of scabies occur every year.
Infections can happen in both men and women and includes all socio economic classes as well as all groups. The infection of scabies are very contagious and spread most easily in crowded areas where there is a close contact such as in prisons, daycare centers, nursing homes, hospitals etc.It can occur in ever growing population of homeless people.
Scabies can get spread through sexual contact and is considered as sexually transmitted disease. A dense infestation of scabies is called Crusted scabies because of thick skin crusted over and consists of large numbers of mites and scabies as well as eggs.
Sometimes they reach up to two million in patients leading to a major crisis situation. Scabies is also called by other names such as Mange, Itch Mite & 7 year itch and is also referred as Norwegian scabies. A proper consultation of doctor is required in case of suffering from scabies. Removal of mites with medication as well as their removal in bedding and clothes is important. All bedding linens, towels and clothes are required to be washed in hot water and dried with dry heat. The items that can not be washed can be stored in zip up plastic bags and placed out of the way for some weeks. This will starve and kill the mites.
One cream called Elimite should be applied from the neck down and left on overnight.
The Lindane is also available as a lotion,cream and shampoo.The Crotamiton lotion is 10% cream known as Eurax,Crotan is another treatment for scabies.
Scabies is a skin disease caused by an itch mite called “Sarcoptes Scabiei.” These mites are tiny parasites that burrow under the surface of the skin, where they live and lay their eggs. They are too small to see without a microscope. Scabies is a common disease that is easy to cure.
The main symptoms associated with scabies include the following.
- Small red raised bumps and ridges of the skin
- Severe itching that is a reaction to the eggs and waste of the mites
- Symptoms tend to be worse at night
Scabies mites burrow under the skin in these body areas.
- Between the fingers
- Around the wrist
- Around the waist
- Underneath the breasts
- Between the buttocks and thighs
- In the genital area
- On the abdomen around the belly button
Scabies rarely appear on the palms of the hand, soles of the feet, scalp, face, neck or upper back of adults.
Scabies is very contagious. Because it is generally transmitted from one person to another through close personal contact, it is classified a Sexually-Transmitted Disease (STD). Unlike many other STDs, however, nonsexual contact can also transmit scabies.
Curing scabies is quite easy if the infected person carefully follows following treatment instructions.
- Visit a doctor to be sure scabies is the cause of the skin problem
- Do not scratch. Scratching can lead to secondary skin infections and transfer the mites to other parts of the body
- Use an appropriate mediation and follow the directions carefully. One of the more common medications is “Kwell.” Apply it after a hot shower, leave it on for eight to 12 hours and wash it off thoroughly. Children two-years-old or younger, and pregnant and nursing women., should use medicines that are less toxic and irritating
- Tell your family and everyone with whom you have intimate contact. Family members, lovers and friends who may have used infected items also should get treatment. If they are not treated, the mites may pass around again. People can be re-infected anytime
- Wash all infected clothing, underwear, sheets, towels and furniture covers with boiling water. Washing and drying with both machines on the highest heat level kills scabies.