Looking to get out of Depression quickly? Try Psychotherapy in combination with antidepressant medications. It not only allows you to keep stress away but also help in maintaining a positive attitude towards life.
Psychiatrists usually recommend the patients to undertake psychotherapy sessions for treating depression. The psychotherapy does not refer to a single treatment technique but in fact it comprises of entire gamut of various treatment techniques.
During the psychotherapy, a licensed and trained mental health care professional talks with the patient for identifying the causes that may trigger the depression.
As per the researchers, it is important to take care of psychological and psychosocial aspects of depression along with the treatment of medical cause.
Psychotherapy mode of action
Wondering, how does psychotherapy helps the people with depression? Well, psychotherapy assists the depressed people by making them feel better and impart coping skills to face stressful life events.
- Making the patient understand the behaviours and ideas that had caused their depression
- Making the patient identify various life problems or events that had caused their depression
- Helping the patient in understanding the various aspects of his/her life that can be improved
- Helping the patients in regaining a sense of control in their life
- Teaching various coping techniques and problem-solving skills to the patient
Types of psychotherapy
There are various types of psychotherapy including Individual, Group, Marital and Family therapy.
- Individual therapy: As the name suggests, this therapy involves one to one session between patient and trained mental therapist.
- Group therapy: In group therapy, there may be two or more patients that participate in therapy simultaneously. Here patients can share their experiences and come to know that there are other patients who feel the same way.
- Marital/couples: In this therapy, the spouses and partners are made to understand the reasons of depression in their loved ones. This therapy teaches the couples to include several changes in their communication and behaviour that may treat depression.
- Family: This therapy involves the family members of the patient and therapist stresses the role of family in curing the depression of the patient. Family members can make the patient feels better and helps him/her to cope with the situation.
Various approaches to psychotherapy
There are different approaches to psychotherapy adopted by mental health professionals. A therapist will consult the patient regarding his/her depression and make decision about
which approach to use depending on the underlying factors that contributes to the depression
This approach is used in cases where patient is depressed because of unresolved and unconscious conflicts that originated during his/her childhood.
The therapy encourages the patients to talk about their experiences and impart coping skills to better face the situation. It is administered for a period of 3 to 4 months and may extend for even few years.
This therapy focuses on the interactions of depressed patient with his/her family and friends. It stresses on improving communication skills and increasing self-esteem in patients.
It is administered over a short period of time that lasts for three to four months. It is recommended patients where depression is caused by following reasons.
- Relationship conflicts
- Major life events
- Social isolation
Both the approaches of psychotherapy (Psychodynamic and interpersonal therapies) assist the patients in treating depression caused by Loss of loved ones, relationship conflicts and role transitions.