Arthritis is often used for the group of rheumatic diseases. There are over 100 types of rheumatic diseases, which not only affects the joints, but it causes abnormalities and deterioration of bones, muscles, tendons, internal organs as well as ligaments. The stiffness and the swelling that often results from arthritis are quite painful, so here are few ways to cope with arthritis pain.
Few tips for Arthritis Pain Relief
- Limit self-treatment to a specific time span – Home made, self remedies for pain relief is often used by people. During the initial stages in arthritis, self treatment is tried but it takes time to understand which treatment works best. However, if the pain persists it is better to consult a doctor after a limited span of time as it can be indicator that the condition is not improving. A doctor will help in diagnosing the kind of arthritis along with better useful medication. If arthritis goes untreated for long, there is like to be deformation of the joints, muscle, tendons, ligaments and even bones.
- Be ready to change medication – After going to the doctor it is quite possible that to give immediate relief from the pain the doctor can suggest a medication. However, after conducting the tests and evaluating the arthritic condition the doctor can change the medication, and it can take some time to find the treatment that one’s body and arthritic condition is response to. So there is likely to be several changes in medication during a course of time, be ready to go with the flow for pain relief.
- Focus on yourself and understand your arthritic condition – Arthritis pain varies with person to person and also on the type of arthritis one is suffering from. To get relief from the pain, arthritic patients often compare and try to find remedies from family and friends who are suffering from arthritis too and try those treatments. But there is quite a possibility that what works for some other arthritis patient might not work for you, as the conditions can be different. So stay focus on your own arthritis condition, learn as much as possible from your doctor and go about the treatment as suggested by your physician, as it will help you to have manage the arthritis pain in the long run.
- Don’t get discouraged – Most arthritis patient who have been suffering for a long time and those whose symptoms have been new often believe that arthritis pain is there to stay and nothing much can be done. But with the improvement in medical science, there are possibilities where the damage caused by the arthritis can be arrested and relief from the pain is also possible. If the arthritis pain persists and you feel frustrated, do not give up, talk with your doctor in details even voice how you feel. If required the doctor will suggest psychological therapy which will eventually help in refocusing and subside the pain as negative feeling only aggravates the arthritic symptoms and pain.
- Know what relieves your arthritis pain – Keep a journal and make points on what aggravates your pain. Also arthritis pain often leads to the pain cycle, i.e. a cycle of pain, stress and depression. Get the medication for that and have a realistic approach towards the problem. Also understand what kind of pack (hot or cold) helps you with pain relief. Go for a balance diet and keep the weight under control that helps in reducing the arthritis pain. Also start exercising as it will help in reducing the stiffness of the muscles and tendons around the joints and build strength, which will reduce the pressure on the joints.