The full form of STD is sexually transmitted disease or also known as STI which mean sexually transmitted infections are those infections or diseases which is transferred from one person to another person through sexual contact. There are more than 25 diseases which can be transferred through sexual contact. The most sexually transmitted diseases after HIV are syphilis, genital herpes, hepatitis B, gonorrhoea, Chlamydia, Trichomoniasis, bacterial vaginosis and human papillomavirus.
Young adults and adolescents are those age groups which are at the greatest risk of contacting a sexually transmitted disease. Some sexually transmitted diseases have severe consequences on women if they are left untreated thus it is necessary to undergo STD test. Sexual transmission disease can be transferred from one partner to another through unprotected oral sex, oral anal sex, vaginal sex and anal sex.
Sexually transmitted diseases:
- Herpes Virus – Herpes is an STD which does not have cure at present. The symptoms of herpes virus are soars or blisters that occur in genitals periodically.
- Syphilis – There is treatment and cure of syphilis available in the market. Syphilis if left untreated can affect progress and growth of nervous system and brain which can lead to dementia or even death.
- Pubic Lice – Pubic lice is very common type of STD which is quite similar to head lice. The symptoms of pubic lice are severe itchy and the treatment for this STD is available.
- Hepatitis – There is no cure available in medical science for already infected person however there is a vaccine of Hepatitis B available in order to prevent the disease to spread. There is also a possibility of automatic wipe out of symptoms however there may be come people who can suffer from this disease for a prolong period.
- HIV/AIDS – This is one of the most feared sexually transmitted disease as many people suffering from HIV eventually progress to AIDS and then death however with new way of treatments an infected patient life can be increased.
- Trichomoniasis – This is also a common type of STD which is also curable however this disease is sometime mistaken as yeast infection leading to intake of wrong type of treatment.