Sinusitis is an epidemic that is affecting today about more than thirty eight million people. This illness is mostly because of fungal or bacterial infection. It results in swelling and irritation of the sinuses. Also, when there is accumulation of mucus in the sinus openings, it gives rise to other bacteria and germs which trigger sinusitis more frequently.
There are two types of sinusitis. One is the acute sinusitis in which the problem remains for more than eight weeks. Second is the chronic sinusitis where the sinusitis lasts longer. The chronic sinusitis is an alarming situation and so it is very important to take medications for this problem. This problem can even amplify and result in asthma if left ignored in the initial stages.
There are many people who follow their own medications for chronic sinusitis instead of consulting the physicians for proper diagnosis and treatment. However, this should be avoided.
Now, the question is how to know whether any person is suffering from sinusitis? So, for this it is necessary to know the symptoms of chronic sinusitis. Some of the common sinusitis symptoms include:
- Nasal congestions: This is the first sign of sinusitis. It becomes difficult to breathe due to nasal congestions.
- Colds: The nose blockage even results in cold if left untreated with proper medications.
- Viral infections: The sinusitis also results in viral infections after some time.
- Greenish or yellowish fluid from nose: This symptom is generally seen in the early morning when due to nasal congestions there is natural flow of greenish or yellowish fluid from the nose. This fluid can even be felt in your throat.
- Bad breath
- Sore throat
- Postnasal drip
- Pain in the throat
- Pressure around the eyes, nose, forehead and cheeks
So, these are some of the health problems that the infected persons feel during sinusitis. Most of the above symptoms are generally experienced in the night.
- Fungus infections
- Dust mites
- Enlarged adenoids: Tonsils sometimes cause sinus disorders. This problem is especially seen amongst children.
These are some of the common causes of sinus disorder. Many people prone to allergies due to dust, dust mites and pollens etc. also suffer from sinus disorder. The immunity system of their body is not strong enough to fight against the above causes. This is the reason why they experience sinusitis frequently. So, it is very essential to build the immunity system of the body. This can be done by taking a balanced diet which is rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins.
Some fruits are also good antioxidants and should be eaten everyday. Green leafy vegetables are beneficial in every way. Apart from this, there are many effective drugs and nasal sprays available today to treat this problem. So, it is always good to take advice of a doctor. This problem is not so serious but a person should not also take it lightly.