Cancer prevention is action taken to lower the chance of getting cancer. To prevent new cancer from starting, scientists look for risk factors and protective factors. Anything that increases the chance of developing cancer is called a cancer risk factor and anything that decreases the chance of cancer development is called protective factor. For example smoking is a risk factor while a healthy diet is a protective factor.
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer diagnosed in men. In general doctors recommend that men with an average risk of prostate cancer make choices that benefit the overall health of the person.
Following are the best preventive measures for prostrate cancer:
- Choosing a low fat diet and full of fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Food that contains fats like meat, nuts, oils and dairy products must be avoided. This is because men who consume the highest amount of fat each day have a tendency to grow obese. This over weight increases the risk of prostate cancer.
- Reducing the amount of fat intake helps control weight and also keeps the heart healthy. Reduction of fat or oil while cooking, eating lean meat and low fat dairy products are some of the precaution that men can take to prevent prostate cancer.
- Eat more fat from plants than animals. The use of plant based fat is healthier than animal fat that include lard and butter. For example cooking food with olive oil is better than using butter. It is advisable to garnishing salads with nuts or seeds instead of cheese.
- Increase the intake of fruits and nuts each day. Fruits and vegetables are full of vitamins and nutrients that are thought to reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Eating more fruits and vegetables also leaves less room for other foods.
- The fat in fish which contains a fatty acid called omega-3 is the only animal fat that can be taken as a preventive for prostate cancer. Fishes like- tuna, salmons, sardines and trout’s are rich in this fatty acid.
- Reduce the intake of dairy products each day. Studies prove that men who depended more on dairy products and included milk, cheese and yogurt in their everyday diet ran the risk of prostate cancer.
- Foods like soya beans, green tea are healthy substitutes.