Molluscum contagiosum (contagiosa) is a commonly found skin infection, especially among children, which looks like small, pearl shaped, pinkish white eruptions on skin. It is a viral infection. It is also found in adults who are immuno-deficient due to some reason. Molluscum contagiosum is a common skin disorder caused by a superficial skin infection with the poxvirus. It is not caused by bacteria, yeasts, or fungi. Diet does not seem to affect molluscum contagiosum. The virus commonly spreads through skin-to-skin contact. This includes sexual contact or touching or scratching the bumps and then touching the skin.
- A characteristic feature is a shiny, smooth, skin- colored bump with a central dell or pinhead-sized opening.
- It starts showing or localized in body areas like face, trunk etc.
- Some bumps may be red or dry and have itchy light red rashes indication inflammation.
- The skin lesion commonly has a central core or plug of white, cheesy or waxy material
In people with normal immune systems, the disorder usually goes away on its own over a period of months to years. Molluscum contagiosum is a self-limiting condition; which means that it gets cured if untreated. However, in that case, it may take up to six months. Some treatment measures may shorten the duration and reduce the changes of spread. It is contagious until the bumps are gone-which, if untreated, may be up to 6 months or longer. Treatment for molluscum contagiosum is not always mandatory. The lesions often disappear by themselves and heal without scarring unless infected by bacteria. Removal of lesions reduces the rate of spread to other people as well as from one part of the body to another, which happens by touching the lesions.
Its treatment includes three types:
- General treatment is normal treatment and must be done regularly to prevent multiplying of the virus, if the top part of lesion containing virus has been removed then the infection is finished.
- Surgical treatment involves two types of therapy and they are: cryotherapy, laser therapy
- The last treatment is a Homeopathic treatment.