Believe it or not, you can treat your depressed mood to large extent by adding certain radical lifestyle changes to other standard treatments.
Yes, the symptoms of depression can be improved by adopting positive changes in your lifestyle. However, there is no denying the fact that you need to see a psychiatrist and follow other standard treatment for depression.
Tips for improving depression Symptoms
• Ensure to follow your treatment plan strictly. The treatment of depression goes on for months and at times you may feel like skipping a session or two, however resist any temptation to skip any psychotherapy sessions or taking your medications.
• Always consult with your doctor before stopping any medications. Be aware of the fact that depression may relapse if you stop taking your treatment without consulting your psychiatrist.
• Educate yourself about depression as it not only increase your understanding of the disease but also assists you in managing your disease better.
• Become aware of various activities, things or places that can trigger your depression. Your psychiatrist may help you in identifying the triggers of your depression. By avoiding these triggers you can keep your depression in check.
• Monitor the changes in your behaviour and mood regularly. Contact your psychiatrist if you feel there are certain changes in symptoms.
• Prepare a support group including your family members or friends. Ask them to notice changes in your behaviour, activities and mood.
• Engage yourself in physical activity like walking, jogging, swimming, etc as it helps in reducing the symptoms of depression.
• Stay away from smoking, alcohol and illicit drugs. Although you may feel tempted to smoke or consume alcohol at times as these activities relieve you temporarily from depression; however in the long run it makes your depression harder to treat.
• Ensure to get plenty of sleep and put on light music if you experience difficulties in sleeping.