Getting infected with Pneumonia is certainly not a pleasant experience and you desperately wish to get healthy soon. You need to understand that once you get discharged from hospital, your treatment will continue at home.
You will still have symptoms of pneumonia once you reached your home. Usually the symptoms get better over a period of few weeks. It takes time to recover completely and resume all the normal activities.
You may make speedy recovery by practising proper self care. You may follow below mentioned guidelines to feel better during treatment.
Useful Tips for feeling better in Pneumonia
• Practise deep breathing regularly as it will help in opening up the lungs for easy breathing. Also follow it up with deep coughing as it cleans up the airways.
• Keep a warm and wet piece of cloth over your face. Breathe in the warm mist after filling a humidifier with warm water.
• You should drink plenty of liquids, fluids, water, juice, or weak tea. Avoid Alcohol completely.
• Take plenty of rest at home and try to sleep in day time in case you have trouble sleeping at night.
• Lie on your bed with your head lower than chest and slowly tap your chest couple of time. This will help in expelling mucus from the lungs.
• Take time to resume your normal activities and do not rush to take any workload immediately after returning home.
• Practise chest therapy at home to improve breathing and loosening mucus. The warm and moist (wet) air helps in breathing easily.
• In case you have a habit of smoking any tobacco products, you should stop it completely.
• If you feel mild pain, then consult your doctor as he/she may prescribe acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen for treating mild fever or pain.
• If you feel severe pain then do not take any strong medicine by yourself and get in touch with your health care provider immediately.
• Don’t forget to take your prescribed medicines on time. Even if you feel the marked improvement in the symptoms, you should complete the entire dose of antibiotics.
• Always consult a doctor before taking any cough medicine or cold medicine.
• Try to keep away from infections and receive a flu shot every year. You can also discuss with your doctor in case you require a pneumonia vaccine.
• Maintain strict basic hygiene. Wash your hands frequently to avoid getting any infection.
• Try to avoid going to crowded places and avoid contact with infected or sick people.
• Save the mobile number/landline number of your Oxygen Suppliers in your contacts. Also, write down the numbers in your diary.
· Always keep a back-up of oxygen supply at home. Avoid smoking or keeping any fire source near the oxygen tank. Don’t make any changes in the level of oxygen flowing without consulting with your health care provider.