Over many past years, various drugs have become available to fight both the HIV infection and the associated functions and dreadful disease like cancer.HIV stands for Human immunodeficiency virus. AIDS stands for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
The medication related to HIV treatment is highly active antiretroviral therapy and have slowly decreased HIV – associated complications and deaths. But there is no cure for HIV/AIDS. The therapy is initiated with individualized under the guidance of physician who is an n authorized expert in care of HIV-infected patients. A combination of minimum three medicines is recommended to suppress the virus from replication and enhance the immune system.
The different types of medicines used in treatment are
- Nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) – these involve medications such as zidovudine, didanosine, stavudine, lamivudine, abacavir, tenofovir and emtricitabine.it is an example of reverse transcriptase.
- Inhibitors of reverse transcriptase-These drugs prohibit the ability of bacteria’s and viruses to make copies of it.leoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIS) are generally used in combination with NRTIs to help keep the virus from multiplying. Examples are: nevirapine,delavirdine and efavirenz.Etravirane is a new member of drugs and has been approved by U.S. FDA in 2008.
- Protease inhibitors (PIs): these drugs interrupt replication of virus at a later step in life cycle, prevents cells from producing new viruses. These include saquinavir, ritonavir, a combination of lopinavir and ritonavir, indinavir, amprenavir and fosamprenavir, darunavir, atazavir, nelfinavir and tipranavir.Using PIs with NRTIs decreases the chances that the virus will become resistant to drugs.
- Fusion and entry inhibitors are new agents that prevents HIV from entering cells of humans.Enfuvirtide is the first drug in this group. It is given in inject able form like insulin. Another drug named as maraviroc connects to a protein on its surface of the cells of human and taken through mouth. Both drugs are used along with anti-HIV drugs dosage.
- Integrase inhibitors stop genes of HIV from becoming incorporated in to cells of human’s DNA.example-raltegravir is the first drug approved by FDA in this case.
- An antiretroviral drug prohibits viral replication and delays the development of AIDS.
- Pregnant women who a re suffering from HIV seek immediate care and consultation of doctor to discuss anti-HIV medication.