Arthritis is a painful condition, which often deteriorates with time and old age. While medicine, exercises and diet does help, but there are people who are not comfortable with the high dosage of the allopathic medicines and would like to go for herbal remedies. Herbal remedies are available for both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a condition where the membranes around the joints are inflamed and become swollen and tender. It is also an autoimmune condition in which the immune system of the body attacks its own tissues. This condition can even cause deformation of the joints.
Osteoarthritis (OS) is the deterioration and hardening of the joints and it happens slowly. In the area adjoin the joints there is bone spur often and deformity can happen with limited mobility. Inflammation is not there and even if it happens it is minimal.
Herbal Treatments for Arthritis
While there are quite a few herbal supplements available in the market for arthritic patients, here is a list of herbal, homemade remedies for arthritis that can reduce the pain, inflammation and slow down the deformation process and work against autoimmune bodies.
- Potato raw juice and other raw juices – Raw juice of potato can work for treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis patients. The potato must not be peeled but sliced with the skin on and placed in half filled glass of cold water for overnight. Next morning on an empty stomach that water should be drunk. Juices from other green leafy vegetables mixed in equal proportion with carrot, red beet and celery juice is good as these juice helps in dissolving the deposits that have accumulated in the tissues and around the joints. Pineapple juices have the bromelain enzyme that helps in reducing swelling and inflammation, making it good for both OS and RA conditions.
- Sesame Seeds water – Often it has been found that sesame seeds have helped in reducing the joint pains. One should soak a teaspoon of black sesame seeds in quarter cup of water for overnight and then drink that water on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Copper – Drinking water that is kept in a copper ware for overnight helps in reducing joint pains.
- Garlic – Using of garlic in food helps or having it raw reduces the pain and arthritic problem both in OS and RA as it has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Calcium – Intake of right amount of calcium has helped many arthritic patients in relieving the pain or have stopped the pain altogether. Doctor must be consulted before one decides to have calcium as a remedy.
- Bananas and Lime – Banana is rich with vitamin B6 and helps in treating arthritis and one can have three to four bananas in a day. On the other hand the citric acid found in lime acts as a solvent for uric acid, which is the cause for some of the arthritis. So taking one lime juice diluted in water once every day in the morning can be beneficial.
- Castor Oil – Using castor oil for treating arthritic patient is an unconventional one. This remedy is advised by a Spanish doctor, where two tablespoon of castor oil should be heated on a stove burner and then added to a glass of fresh orange juice and taken before breakfast. The patient is supposed to have it for three continuous weeks and then leave it for next three weeks before resuming again for three weeks. This process is to be continued till arthritis is cured. While having this herbal treatment the patient is to have an alkaline diet only otherwise there won’t be any effectiveness of this treatment.