Also known as infectious mononucleosis, it is caused by Epstein Barr virus. It predominates in adolescents aged 15 to 20 years, but it also affects children and adults. It is easily spread by kissing, coughing droplets etc.
The symptoms occur after an incubation period of up to seven-week after infection. Some of them are:
- Sore throat (sometimes with pus in the tonsils)
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck and armpits
Sometimes there is liver disorders and consequent jaundice, or a rash similar to measles can emerge. But what is more common is that spleen becomes enlarged, which is a characteristic symptom. Yet the doctor should order blood tests or other tests to confirm the diagnosis.
- Since there is no specific treatment for glandular fever, the patient should rest, take prescribed medication to combat the symptoms and wait until the illness runs its course, between two and eight weeks.
- Naturopathists suggest that during the febrile stage, one should take yarrow tea and elderflower to increase sweating and temperature regulation. A slight but nutritious diet is also recommended, based on substantial broth, until the patient recovers his appetite and strength. The therapist may prescribe large doses of vitamins B and C to strengthen the immune and nervous systems.
- Herbalists prescribe three to four cups of tea of yarrow or elderflower. The weariness of later stages is treated with tonic remedies, such as yarrow and rosemary teas and hearty oats. Homeopathic Belladonna is used for high fever and sore lymph nodes, Baryta carb. If the patient is a child and has very swollen lymph nodes and tonsils, thay can take Phytolacca. If the condition continues, homeopaths prescribe a restorative treatment. To prevent the spreading, there is a special preparation to be taken daily for 10 days.
- Practitioners prescribe salts of iron phosphate every hour during the early stages of the disease, and potassium chloride at the same rate when nodes are swollen. If convalescence is accompanied by decay, calcium phosphate is recommended three times a day.
Even though a very serious disease, it can be healed easily.