Ayurvedic cures and medicines are now being used for various diseases, conditions and ailments. Many arthritis patients now go for Ayurvedic treatments to cure their pains, inflammation, swollen and stiff joints caused by arthritis and it has helped in alleviate the painful condition that one suffers from.
Arthritis being approached by Ayurveda
As per Ayurveda the air (Vata) disorder is the cause of arthritis and it is caused due to the poor digestion and excess of toxins (Ama) are formed, which eventually accumulates around the joints hindering mobility and causing pain. So to better the digestive system and get rid of the toxins here is a list of what should be done.
1. Get rid of the impurities and strengthen and clean the metabolic pathways so that the circulatory channels to the joints are not blocked.
2. Create nutritional plasma by strengthening the digestive system.
3. Joints should be lubricated, improve the lubrication.
4. Stabilize and balance the air (Vata) as aggravating that will increase the pain.
Foods to Avoid according to Ayurveda
Hot, spicy foods are to be avoided at all costs and so is alcohol and smoking. Foods like cabbage, broccoli, potato, okra, cauliflower are advised not to be consumed in huge proportion as they can cause bodily wind and aggravating the pain. Too much of sugar, coffee, yogurt, tea is also not good as they hinder the purification of the digestive system.
Herbs to be Consumed in Ayurveda
Cumin, ginger, coriander, garlic, fennel, turmeric, asafetida are good for decreasing the inflammation as most of these have anti-inflammatory agents. Even helps in soothing the pain caused by stiffness of the joints. Fresh fruit, juices, green vegetables and salads and even squash and pumpkins are good for arthritic patients as they help in cleaning the blood and the digestive system.
Ayurvedic Messages and Packs
Not all arthritic conditions or pains have the same relief form massages, but some do. Here are two readily available ingredients with which one can massage or use as a pack to get relief from arthritis pain
1. Cinnamon pack: Grind cinnamon with water to a fine paste and use the pack on the joints that are paining. Even this pack can be used on the areas where there is an itch due to the pain. 2. Sesame oil massage: Those suffering from osteoarthritis, for them lubrication of the joints is important. Ayurveda recommends five minutes of massage on the joints with sesame oil or other kind of oil. Even mustard oil with camphor helps in relieving the joint pain. Even during winter massaging the body and the joints with sesame oil is likely to lessen the pain.
Never rub or massage a swollen joint or use a wet steam as the area is already heated up due to the inflammation, adding more heat from massage will only aggravate the condition, causing more pain.
Also there are quite a few over-the-counter ayurvedic medications are available for arthritis, one should be careful about which one to use as all the Ayurvedic medicines might not be suitable for everyone.