Any person can be anemic in any age of his/her life. This disease generally takes some time to set in and show the symptoms. So, one must know the symptoms and signs of anemia to get the proper treatment. Below discussed are some of the symptoms of anemia:
- Headache: This is a very common symptom of anemia. Although, people have headaches due to many other illnesses but if these headaches are frequent then it is better to go and get checked for anemia.
- Shortness of breath: This generally happens due to lack of oxygen supply in the blood. As a result you cannot breathe adequate air and hence get tired very soon.
- Pale skin: Due to the deficiency of red blood cells the skin becomes pale and dull. The skin also gets flaky and dry.
- Weakness: This is obvious as due to lack of oxygen supply in the body, it becomes weak. So, the muscles have to put extra efforts to do any job.
- Fatigue: Even after doing small work an anemic person would feel tired and fatigue. This is also the most common sign of anemia.
- Cold Feet and Hands: Since there is deficiency of red blood cells in the body so the blood is supplied only to the vital parts of the body for the proper functioning. Other parts such as hands and feet are neglected.
- RLS or Restless Legs Syndrome: This is a common anemia syndrome seen in many individuals. This pain occurs in the legs during the sleeping hours. This is a different kind of sensation in your legs which stops when the legs are in motion. This also causes some other problems such as waking in the night or sleeping problems.
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding: If any woman experiences heavy bleeding during her menses then it might make her anemic. This is because it can cause loss of RBCs or red blood cells that are very essential for the body.
- Poor Diet: Iron contributes a lot in increasing the hemoglobin in the body. Its deficiency causes anemia. So, always have iron rich food in your diet.
- Frequent infections: Due to anemia, the immune system of your body weakens. As a result there are fair chances of frequent infections. Even a cold would affect your body very seriously.
This is not a serious problem. There are many home remedies and medicines available at the medical shops to treat this problem. Infants also have fair chances of suffering from anemia. So, they should always be given the iron rich content.
In addition, women who have heavy menstrual cycles should also take stuffs that are rich in iron. Pregnant women require twice the iron content than normally they should. This is very essential for the developing baby otherwise it would result in some abnormalities.
Adults generally are anemic because there body cannot produce adequate number of red blood cells. So, they are mostly advised iron capsules by the doctors.