Measles is an acute, viral and contagious disease. This disease generally occurs in the childhood and is characterized by the outbreak of certain red spots on skin. Most common symptoms are fever and catarrhal.
Measles is also known by the name rubeola. This disease is quite disastrous. If not treated at the right time it even results in other complications such as pneumonia, ear infections and encephalitis. This virus can transmit easily through air. So, this disease can be caused if an infected person sneezes or coughs or if there is any direct contact with throat secretions or an infected nose.
This disease is highly infectious and is distinguished by a blotchy red rash which appears on the neck and face and a sore throat. Measles spread throughout the body after sometime. This disease is also known as hard measles or five-day measles. Any person who has suffered from the disease will never experience it again in the rest of life.
The virus that is responsible behind measles is Paramyxovirus. This virus generally erupts in spring and winter. The virus enters in the conjunctiva or the respiratory tract and spreads to various parts of the body. This disease is widespread throughout the world.
Some of the major causes of measles are mentioned below:
- Personal contact: Since measles is a communicable disease so this is the major cause of measles.
- Droplets from sneezes and coughs
- Deficiency of vitamin A is also a preliminary cause of measles
- Immunodeficiency because of HIV/AIDS
The signs and symptoms of measles generally begin to grow about 6-12 days after the individual gets infected from the disease. Below listed are some of the Measles symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Red eyes
- Red spots on the cheeks
- Red spots in the mouth
- Koplik or small spots inside the mouth
- Skin rash
- Mouth spots with red ring and white center
- Light sensitivity
- Sore throat: There can occur swelling in the lymph nodes
- Coughing: The cough sounds as a barking sound
Initially the spots are small and just double themselves quickly and join with the other spots.
- Garlic Oil: This is one of the best remedies to treat measles. Apply garlic oil to the infected areas so as to avert infection.
- Drink Saffron: Snake root tea and saffron help in the healing process.
- Lobelia: This helps a lot in assuring the fastest recovery of the measles.
- Barley Water: This should be taken everyday to cure measles.
- Orange Juice: Fresh juice is very favorable for the treatment of measles.
- Lemonade: This also helps in the measles treatment.
- Chamomile: This plays a great role in increasing the immunity system of the body. Also, it helps to reduce fever and offers a soothing oatmeal baths in order to alleviate itching.
- Ginger Tea: Ginger tea is extremely helpful in developing heat inside the body.
- Shiitake Mushrooms: It helps in building the immune system of the body. This may be taken as capsule or eaten in fresh form.